You are here
The first day of Produce Marketing Association’s (PMA) 2012 Fresh Summit International Convention and Exposition included election of 2012-2013 boards for PMA and the PMA Foundation for Industry Talent, and presentation of the first-ever Robert L. Carey Leadership Award to Mike O’Brien of Schnuck Markets Inc.
Elected to chair PMA’s Board of Directors is Jan DeLyser, vice president of marketing for the Irvine-based California Avocado Commission. Five other officers and 28 directors join her. “While we are thrilled with PMA's success this year, we recognize the need to keep moving forward in our efforts to create the next generation of member value," said DeLyser. “We will be working diligently over the next several months to develop a new strategic plan that will help PMA focus its efforts to expand our member value worldwide.”
Also elected as officers to the 2012-2013 PMA board are:
- Chairman-Elect Tim Riley, executive vice president, The Giumarra Cos., Los Angeles
- Secretary/Treasurer John Oxford, president and CEO, L&M, Raleigh, N.C.
- Immediate Past Chairman Richard Dachman, vice president of produce, Sysco Corp., Houston
- Vice Chairman Jim Corby, vice president of produce, Delhaize America, Salisbury, N.C.
- Vice Chairman Derrick Jenkins, vice president of produce/floral, Wakefern Food Corp., Elizabeth, N.J.
Together with PMA president and CEO Bryan Silbermann, the officers comprise PMA’s Executive Committee.
The remaining 2012-2013 directors of the association are:
- Miguel Allamand, president, Exportadora Subsole, S.A., Chile (new)
- Mark Allison, senior manager, produce procurement, The Cheesecake Factory Inc., Calabasas Hills, Calif.
- John Anderson, chairman, president and CEO, The Oppenheimer Group, Coquitlam, Canada
- Greg Calistro, executive director, produce and floral, Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto, Calif.
- Vernon Crowder, vice president and agricultural economist, Rabobank N.A., Fresno, Calif. (new)
- Kevin Fiori, vice president sales and marketing, Sunkist Growers Inc., Sherman Oaks, Calif. (new)
- Elliott Grant, founder and CMO, HarvestMark, Redwood City, Calif. (new)
- Dan Johnson, corporate director produce and floral merchandising, The Kroger Co., Cincinnati
- Paul Kneeland, vice president produce, floral and seafood, Kings Food Markets, Parsippany, N.J. (new)
- Alec Leach, president, Taylor Farms Inc., Salinas, Calif.
- David Lessard, director of produce, Ahold USA Retail, Assonet, Mass.
- Joe Loiacano, produce purchasing manager, Wendy’s Quality Supply Chain Cooperative, Dublin, Ohio (new)
- Pat McEntee, general manager fresh foods, Woolworths Ltd., Australia (new)
- Larry McIntosh, president and CEO, Peak of the Market, Winnipeg, Canada
- Matt Middleton, vice president of sales, Marie’s/Ventura Foods, Dallas
- Russ Mounce, senior director produce and floral, Sam’s Club, Bentonville, Ark. (new)
- Don Murphy, director produce and floral, Grocery Outlet, Berkeley, Calif. (new)
- Rob Ondrus, director category management/produce, Reinhart Foodservice, Rosemont, Ill.
- David Parsley, senior vice president supply chain management, Brinker International Inc., Dallas
- Stephen Patricio, president and CEO, Westside Produce, Firebaugh, Calif. (new)
- Victor Smith, CEO, Fresh Innovations LLC, Yuma, Ariz.
- Mayda Sotomayor-Kirk, CEO, Seald Sweet International, Vero Beach, Fla.
- Craig Stephen, CEO, Clear Compass Advisors LLC, Montgomery, Ohio
- Michael Stuart, president, Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association, Maitland, Fla.
- Maureen Torrey Marshall, vice president, Torrey Farms Inc., Elba, N.Y.
- Miguel Usabiaga, vice president, Empacadora GAB Inc., McAllen, Texas (new)
- Johan van Deventer, managing director, Freshmark, Cape Town, South Africa (new)
- Robert Verloop, executive vice president of marketing, Naturipe Farms LLC, Naples, Fla. (new)
- ex officio Jim Leimkuhler, PMA Foundation Chairman, president, Progressive Produce, Los Angeles (new)
- ex officio Felicity Robson-Rous, PMA Australia-New Zealand, general manager, OneHarvest, Brisbain, Australia
Retiring from the board are:
- Michael Agostini, senior director of produce and floral, Walmart, Bentonville, Ark.
- Mitch Ardantz, managing partner, Bonipak Produce, Santa Maria, Calif.
- Marty Craner, president/owner, B&C Fresh, Orange, Calif.
- Patrick Hynes, senior director of purchasing, Darden Restaurants, Orlando, Fla.
- Martin Ley, vice president, Del Campo Supreme, Nogales, Ariz.
- Victor Moller, president, Hortifrut SA, San Jose, Costa Rica,
- Frank Padilla, vice president, GMM produce & meat, Costco Wholesale, Seattle, Wash.
- Joe Pezzini, chief operating officer, Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, Calif.,
- Mike Solomon, president and CEO, Ready Pac Foods, Irwindale, Calif.
- David Werner, corporate director of marketing, Ben E. Keith Foods, Fort Worth, Texas
- Jin Ju Wilder, president, Status Gro, South Pasadena, Calif.
- Mike O’Brien, vice president produce and floral, Schnuck Markets, Saint Louis, Mo.
Jim Leimkuhler to Chair 2012-2013 PMA Foundation Board
Newly-appointed officers for the PMA Foundation Board of Directors are: Chairman Jim Leimkuhler, president/owner, Progressive Produce Corp., Los Angeles; Vice Chairman Dick Spezzano, president, Spezzano Consulting Service Inc., Monrovia, Calif.; Secretary/Treasurer John Oxford, president and CEO, L&M, Raleigh, N.C., and Past Chairman John Anderson, chairman, president and CEO, The Oppenheimer Group, Coquitlam, B.C., Canada. They join Margi Prueitt, PMA Foundation executive director, and Yvonne Bull, PMA chief financial officer.
At-large members of the PMA Foundation 2012-2013 board are:
- Tonya Antle, principal, Tanimura & Antle, Salinas, Calif.
- Leonard Batti, vice president, MIXTEC Group, Monterey, Calif.
- Aribel Beck, vice president finance and administration, Naturipe Farms LLC, Estero, Fla.
- Karen Caplan, president, Frieda’s Inc., Los Alamitos, Calif.
- J. Scott Carr, president and CEO, YottaMark, Redwood City, Calif.
- Chris Cervini, president, Lakeside Produce Co., Leamington, Ontario, Canada
- Matt Curry, president, Curry & Co., Brooks, Ore.
- Tony D’Amico, president, To-Jo Mushrooms, Avondale, Pa.
- Kevin Delaney, director corporate sustainability and productivity, Procacci Bros., Philadelphia
- Gabriel Fonzo, CEO, Integrity, SA, Santiago, Chile
- Tim Knoerzer, human resource lead, global vegetables & Asia Pacific, Monsanto, St. Louis
- Doug Ranno, COO, managing member, Colorful Harvest, Salinas, Calif.
- Jim Richter, executive vice president sales and marketing, Wilcox Fresh, Overland Park, Kan.
- Kent Shoemaker, CEO, Lipman, Immokalee, Fla.
- Bryan Silbermann, president and CEO, PMA, Newark, Del.
- Marc Solomon, vice president of procurement, Fisher Capespan, Gloucester City, N.J.
- Jorge Suarez, director human resources, Ocean Mist Farms, Castroville, Calif.
- Larry Zink, industry relations & outreach coordinator, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich.
O’Brien named first Robert L. Carey Leadership Award winner
Mike O’Brien, vice president of produce and floral with St. Louis-based Schnuck Markets Inc., received PMA’s first-ever Robert L. Carey Leadership Award during Friday’s general session. From the many nominations, a team of four previous PMA chairmen selected O’Brien in recognition of his outstanding leadership and an uncommon commitment to PMA and the produce industry.
“The award is named in honor of Bob Carey, who led the association for 38 years until 1996,” said PMA president and CEO Bryan Silbermann. “Carey’s leadership and vision allowed the organization to become strong and vibrant.” Silbermann joined past PMA chairman Bill Schuler, president and CEO of The Castellini Companies, to present the award.
Since 2004, O’Brien has served eight years on the PMA board, including as its chairman; he also served on the Retail Division Board and on numerous committees, including the Produce Electronic Identification Board and the Government Affairs Committee. He also served on the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Fruit & Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee and previously served as chairman of the Produce for Better Health Foundation.
“I am deeply humbled by this honor. To be considered in the same league as Bob Carey is a genuine honor,” O’Brien said. “I’m grateful to those who have allowed me to serve the industry, especially those from my own company, who have graciously allowed me to channel my career into service back to the produce industry. I have worked alongside many devoted individuals who inspire me with their knowledge and great ideas.”
The Produce Marketing Association is the leading trade association representing companies from every segment of the global produce and floral supply chain. PMA helps members grow by providing business solutions that expand business opportunities and increase sales and consumption.