Breaking News

Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Food Lion, Bottom Dollar Bow ‘Hunger Has a Cure’

    Campaigns benefit local Feeding America food banks

    Delhaize America subsidiaries Food Lion and Bottom Dollar Food have launched their respective annual “Hunger Has a Cure” campaigns this week in support of Feeding America’s network of local food banks. The two-week campaigns, which enable shoppers to contribute in $1 or $3 increments at checkout, run through April 17. Customers may also donate any other amount they wish.

    “As a grocer, we want to help our neighbors who are struggling to feed their families,” explained Bill Garcia, manager of community relations for Salisbury, N.C.-based Food Lion and Bottom Dollar. “During the summer months, food donations typically drop while hunger needs increase. Funds raised through this two-week campaign will help close the gap and provide critical assistance to families in need.”

    Funds contributed by customers will be donated to Chicago-based Feeding America, which is able to help provide eight meals per every $1 donated. All Food Lion and Bottom Dollar stores are taking part in the campaigns.

    Food Lion and Bottom Dollar Food work locally with more than 40 Feeding America food banks. Once the "Hunger has a Cure" campaign ends, 75 percent of the proceeds are distributed to regional Feeding America food banks in the Food Lion/Bottom Dollar Food footprint where the funds were raised. The other 25 percent goes to the national Feeding America organization.

    Last year, with the support of its customers, the chains raised $440,000 and 1.4 million pounds of food for needy families seeking food assistance through the Feeding America network.

    Delhaize America, the U.S. division of Brussels-based Delhaize Group, operates more than 1,100 supermarkets. The company employs about 57,000 associates in 10 Southeast and Mid-Atlantic states.

    Related Content

    Related Content