You are here
Food Lion is showing its support of the 100th Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) Tournament by sponsoring several events, including the women’s tournament, a health-and-wellness symposium, the Miss CIAA Pageant and a Taste of Food Lion event hosted by TV chefs the Neelys (left), who appear on the Food Network. The events run through March 4 in Charlotte, N.C.
“Our 18-year partnership with the CIAA is a strategic alliance that supports our commitment to education, men’s and women’s athletics, and diversity and inclusion,” noted Eric Watson, VP of diversity and inclusion for Salisbury, N.C.-based Delhaize America, of which Food Lion is a subsidiary. “During the tournament, our company offers a number of events focused on education and health-and-wellness programs to attendees.”
As a corporate CIAA partner, Food Lion will serve as the title sponsor for the 2012 Food Lion CIAA Women’s Basketball Tournament, which runs from Tuesday, Feb. 28 to Saturday, March 3 at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte.
Additionally, the grocery chain’s family-friendly activities timed to coincide with the tournament include:
- Food Lion Health & Wellness Symposium: This three-day event at the Time Warner Cable Arena takes place from March 1 through March 3. CIAA fans can attend a Teen Summit, a women’s education and fitness symposium, receive health-and-wellness information, take part in dance contests and other events, and view computer-generated photos of how they’ll look 25 years from now.
- Food Lion Day at the CIAA: Scheduled for March 2 at the Time Warner Cable Arena, the all-day event will feature interactive games, premium giveaways and Food Lion’s CIAA Scholarship check presentation, and each fan attending will get a free Food Lion T-shirt.
- See the Neelys: Celebrity chefs Pat and Gina Neely will perform live on The Taste of Food Lion Stage on March 3 in two one-hour sessions The free event will take place at the CIAA Fan Experience in the Charlotte Convention Center.
- Food Lion Miss CIAA Pageant: Twelve women representing each of the CIAA schools will compete for the coveted title on March 3 at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
- Food Lion/Coke Zero Scholarship: Fans at the CIAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Championship game on March 3 will watch three Food Lion customers receive scholarships for participating in a recent sweepstakes. There will be a $20,000 grand-prize scholarship winner, with the first- and second-runner-up winners getting $10,000 and $5,000 scholarships, respectively.
All events are free, except for the basketball tournament games.
Employing about 57,000 associates, Delhaize America is the U.S. division of Brussels-based Delhaize Group and operates more than 1,100 supermarkets.