You are here
Sandwiches aren’t just an important part of the American diet, they are also essential to it. And lucky for hungry consumers, sandwiches are undergoing exciting flavor and quality upgrades on every level: carriers, fillings and condiments. New sandwich trends are being predominantly driven by artisan and sustainable ingredients, American regional and global flavor profiles, and even better nutrition, according to the “Sandwiches: Culinary Trend Mapping Report” from the Center for Culinary Development (CCD) and New York-based market research publisher Packaged Facts.
“The role of sandwiches in people’s lives is huge,” said Kimberly Egan, CEO of San Francisco-based CCD. “It makes sense that redefined sandwiches reflect the same values consumers are embracing in their lives,” including supporting artisan and sustainable food production, eating more seasonally and nutritionally, and celebrating regional and global foods and flavors.
Among the hottest sandwich trends that grocers can use as inspiration for compelling new-product development opportunities in the everlasting sandwich arena:
• The “Fine Fast” Sandwich Shop: Gourmet sandwich shops helmed by chefs feature high-quality, artisan and locally sourced ingredients along with a wide range of house-made condiments and toppings.
• The Asian Sandwich Invasion: Chinese bao sandwiches and Vietnamese bahn mi are crossing over and attracting adventurous eaters craving new flavors.
• The Reinvented Jewish Deli: Traditional delis are reinventing themselves with more sustainable and ethical raw ingredients.
• Glamorous Grilled Cheese: This American classic is getting an overhaul with artisan bread and cheese, plus sophisticated flavorings.
• The Great Sandwich Shop Takeover: Fast-casual sandwich and bakery chains are innovating with more healthful offerings, global flavor profiles and even some local ingredients.
• Pulled Pork Sandwiches and Better Burgers: While the North Carolina classic goes national, the beloved burger explodes with new styles of beef, a variety of tasty buns and a host of exotic toppings.
For more information on “Sandwiches: Culinary Trend Mapping Report,” visit www.packagedfacts.com/Sandwiches-Culinary-Trend-2517246/.