You are here
PITTSBURGH - Giant Eagle Inc. here cut the ribbon on its newest concept Express format store, a 14,000 square-foot unit in Harmar Township that aims to meet everyday needs with quick meal solutions, all packaged into an easy-to-navigate format.
Giant Eagle Express includes fresh produce and meat, an in-store bakery, a service counter for deli, a gourmet cheese case, a prepared foods area with ready-to-go meal solutions; and the best convenience services, including a drive-thru pharmacy and an on-site GetGo fueling station. The store is also constructed with many environmentally friendly features including skylights, and energy-saving refrigerated cases.
"According to a recent study conducted by Unilever, 77 percent of all dinners are still made at home, though those preparing the dinners only have 12 minutes on average to do so," said Giant Eagle v.p./marketing Brett Merrell. "As such, Giant Eagle Express is the contemporary neighborhood grocery store that provides fresh, convenient and affordable groceries and meal solutions to customers with on-the-go lifestyles."
Among the new store's features:
- A meat department featuring beef, pork, poultry, lamb and veal cut fresh everyday.
- Express meal solutions with approximately 45 hand-prepared, complete meal options including assorted roasted meats, sushi and panini sandwiches.
- Full-service deli and gourmet cheese case with an olive and antipasti bar
- A touch screen kiosk permitting customers the ability to custom-order numerous items including breakfast sandwiches, subs, salads, wraps and soups
- A wide selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- A bakery offering cakes, breads and other fresh items.
- An in-store pharmacy, including a drive-through service.
- An on-site GetGo fuel station with 16 pumps.
- Free, unlimited WiFi in the cafe area, photo finishing, ink jet refills, and a DVD rental kiosk.
The Giant Eagle Express concept provides us with an opportunity to service areas that our larger supermarket format could not," said Merrell. "As we collect customer feedback on the initial Harmar Township location, we will continue to enhance the concept and evaluate potential locations for additional Giant Eagle Express sites."
The store will employ approximately 45 people, and stay open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Giant Eagle operates 155 corporate and 71 independently owned and operated supermarkets, in addition to more than 120 fuel and convenience stores throughout western Pennsylvania, Ohio, north central West Virginia and Maryland.