You are here
This fall, The Idaho Potato Commission (IPC) demonstrates that Halloween treats don’t always have to be about the candy. To celebrate the season, the Eagle-based IPC has released a series of Halloween recipes that couple the versatility of the potato with the fun of the Halloween holiday.
Recipes include “Creepy Crawly Idaho,” “Spooky Spuds,” and fan favorite “Yummy Mummy Heads,” featured below.
Yummy Mummy Heads
- 4 medium Idaho Russet or Idaho Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed (about 2 pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 16 turkey pepperoni slices, coarsely chopped
- 32 pitted ripe olives
- 8 mozzarella string cheese, unwrapped, room temperature
- 16 capers
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Slightly trim opposite sides of potatoes; cut each potato lengthwise into fourths, creating four flat ovals or "planks.”
- Place the potatoes on a large foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of the potatoes with the oil, sprinkle evenly with the oregano, salt and black pepper. Bake 8 minutes, turn and bake 7 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and turn potatoes again.
- Spoon equal amounts of the pizza sauce over each, (about 2 teaspoon per slice). Sprinkle evenly with the pepperoni. Place an olive near the center of each potato slice to form a "nose." Pull off thin strips of the cheese and lay across the potato to form the "bandages.” (Note: the cheese may hang over the edges of the potato slightly. They will form to the shape of the potato when melted). Cut the remaining olives in half lengthwise and place two halves above the "nose" to form the "eye sockets.” Place capers and bell pepper cubes in the center of each olive half to form the "eyeballs."
- Bake 3-4 minutes or until cheese has melted slightly. Remove with a flat spatula and place on a large serving platter. Serve hot or room temperature.
Consumers can visit the IPC's website for additional recipes.