You are here
READING, Pa. - Mary G. (Germond) Redner, 89, who along with her husband, Earl, co-founded the family-held regional grocery chain that bears her name, died July 14 at Reading Hospital, where she was a patient for five days.
In 1970, the Redners co-founded Redner's Markets, Inc., which they operated for 20 years before turning the business over to their sons and retiring in 1990. After retirement, Mrs. Redner remained an active member of Redner's board of directors.
A former kindergarten teacher, she was born in Oneonta, N.Y., on Oct. 5, 1917. She was a graduate of Oneonta High School, and also received her bachelor's degree in education from Oneonta State University, followed by her master's from the University of Maryland.
In addition to her husband of 58 years, Mrs. Redner is survived by sons Richard E. and Gary W. Redner, and daughter Chere A. (Redner) Kelley; six grandchildren: Nicole, Alexis, Ryan, Stacy, Gary M., and Casey; and 11 great-grandchildren.
Services will be held Thurs., at 11 a.m. in First Church of the Brethren, 2200 State Hill Rd., Wyomissing, Pa. Burial will be in Leesport Cemetery. Friends will be received Thursday from 9 to 11 a.m. in the church. Contributions may be made to First Church of the Brethren, 2200 State Hill Rd., Wyomissing, Pa., 19610. The Bean Funeral Homes, Sinking Spring, is in charge of arrangements. Online condolences may be made at www.beanfuneralhomes.com.
Redner's Markets, Inc., an employee owned company, currently operates 40 Warehouse Markets and 12 Quick Shoppes throughout Eastern Pennsylvania, New York and Maryland.