You are here
As part of its commitment to total health and wellness, United Supermarkets is helping its Market Street guests start 2012 off right with a ‘Healthy New You’ Expo to be held Jan. 14 – 15. The free event will offer guests educational tips on how to choose more nutritious foods for a healthier lifestyle by using the NuVal Nutritional Scoring System.
“We strive to offer our guests expert health and wellness information so they can make healthier choices during their visit,” said Robin Hawkins, MS, RD, LD, Market Street’s health and wellness director. “With the NuVal program, all the work has been done for them and they can compare nutritional information as easily as they compare prices. Our ‘Healthy New You’ Expo is an opportunity for guests to learn more about NuVal, and how they can easily incorporate more nutritious foods into their lifestyle.”
Created by an independent panel of nutrition and medical experts from universities and health organizations, NuVal is an easy-to-follow system that scores food and beverages based on nutritional value from 1 to 100; the higher the score, the higher the food’s overall nutrition.
United Supermarkets became the first grocer in Texas to implement the NuVal system in 2010.
During the event, Market Street pharmacists will provide blood pressure and cholesterol screenings at no charge, as well as complimentary BMI (body mass index) readings. Additionally, trained Market Street team members will offer complimentary coupons, recipe cards, preparation tips, nutrition information and food samples, including its Living Well menu items, and will answer questions about the NuVal system at designated stations throughout store.
The ‘Healthy New You’ Expo will take place at all Market Street locations in west Texas and the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
At the expo, guests can learn about and sample products including:
- All-natural, organic, lean and ultra-lean meats
- Market Street's low-sodium Lite Classic Chicken Salad
- Market Street's Santa Barbara Lite Classic Chicken Salad
- Living Well Favorites turkey meatloaf made with rolled oats and Eggbeaters
- All-natural oatmeal crunch bread with cranberry orange dip
- All-natural Italian heartland bread with Tuscan dip
- Smoked salmon
- Maverick Ranch ground buffalo sliders
- Acai Smoothies from Peet’s Coffee Shop
- ‘Oh Yeah’ Bars
- Labrada Lean Body Cookie Roll
- Kays naturals protein chips and cookie bites
- 5-Alive Whole Food Puree and Ultra-Shake Soy Protein
- Fresh pears
- Wasa multigrain crispbread
- Broccoli and cauliflower dip
- A variety of Kashi products
Shoppers can find the NuVal scores on shelf price tags in all 51 United Supermarkets, Market Street, Amigos United and United Express locations in 30 markets across west Texas and the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Bilingual brochures and signage can also be found throughout the stores.
Lubbock, Texas-based United Supermarkets operates 51 stores under four distinct formats: United Supermarkets, Market Street, Amigos United and United Express.