You are here
NEW YORK -- The Nielsen Co. yesterday launched two new Internet and mobile measurement services -- Nielsen Online and Nielsen Mobile -- to provide clients with an integrated suite of solutions for global measurement of consumer behavior across all media platforms.
Nielsen Online is comprised of the company's Nielsen//NetRatings and BuzzMetrics services, which provide independent measurement and analysis of online audiences, advertising, video, blogs, consumer-generated media, word-of-mouth, commerce, and consumer behavior.
Nielsen Mobile combines recently acquired Telephia, the leading provider of syndicated consumer research to the telecom and mobile media markets, with several existing Nielsen initiatives in the mobile market. It will use its measurement tools and large-scale, integrated consumer panels to understand and interpret the behaviors, attitudes, and experiences of mobile consumers.
"As consumers experience media through different channels and technologies, it is essential that Nielsen measure and interpret that experience for its clients," said David Calhoun, c.e.o. of Nielsen. "With this new structure, we are prepared to focus with even more intensity on delivering the complete picture of consumer activity and behavior in the digital space and across all media platforms."
Itzhak Fisher, former executive chairman of BuzzMetrics, will lead Nielsen Online as executive chairman of the service. "The Internet offers critical opportunities for businesses to influence consumer perceptions of brands, products, and services," said Fisher. "Integrating the strong capabilities of these two entrepreneurial organizations into Nielsen Online creates a powerful tool for our clients in the fast-paced, constantly changing online space."
Nielsen Online's measurement capabilities include:
- Internet media and market research products, supported by patented technologies and innovative and proven research methodologies.
- Panel-based and site-centric Internet audience measurement services.
- In-depth demographic data, online advertising intelligence, and user lifestyle information.
- E-commerce, search and transaction metrics, custom data, research, and analysis.
- Tracking, analysis, and measurement of consumer-generated media consumer trends, issues, opinion shifts, predictions, and other marketplace-shaping forces
More than 2,000 clients across 16 countries subscribe to Nielsen Online services, including leading advertisers, publishers, technology companies, advertising agencies, retailers, and financial services organizations.
Sid Gorham, the former c.e.o. of Telephia and a 20-year veteran of the telecom industry, has been named president and c.e.o. of Nielsen Mobile. The creation of Nielsen Mobile addresses the $350 billion mobile sector, where consumers are rapidly expanding the way they use mobile phones, according to Nielsen. Among the 237 million wireless subscribers in the U.S., 70 percent use their phones to text message, more than 32 million accessed the Internet on their phones last month, and 41 percent use their phones to send picture messages.
Nielsen Mobile's technology-driven research includes:
- Insight into what mobile consumers think about brands, devices, and services through technology that measures awareness, purchase intent, satisfaction, recommendations, and loyalty.
- Information about what mobile consumers actually do with their mobile devices by measuring market share, consumer spending, revenue share, and other consumer behaviors.
- Intelligence into how consumers experience services, networks, and devices through proprietary technology that measures network, service, and application quality. More than 125 global companies in the telecom and mobile media markets rely on Nielsen Mobile for comprehensive measurement and analysis of mobile consumers, including mobile operators, device manufacturers, retailers, infrastructure vendors, investment analysts, and content providers.
In addition to Gorham, Nielsen Mobile will be led by a group of former Telephia executives. John Forese, Jesse Goranson, and Tom Stahl will be responsible for Product Management, Client Service and Operations, respectively.
Nielsen Wireless, a recently announced initiative to measure wireless media, will be folded into Nielsen Mobile. Nielsen RingScan, which measures downloaded ringtones, will remain part of the Nielsen Entertainment organization.
Progressive Grocer is a brand in the Retail Group of Nielsen Business Media, which is owned by The Nielsen Co.