You are here
SCHENECTADY, NY -- Price Chopper yesterday said it added more than 1,000 new natural and organic items across several categories in its 115 stores that span six Northeastern states.
The products are merchandised with the retailer's mainstream products, and will be supported with aggressive promotional pricing, advertising, marketing, and consumer-friendly educational outreach. A bright new yellow and evergreen signage package will highlight the natural and organic items throughout each store.
"We've selected exceptional suppliers, all of whom are leaders in the natural and organic arena," said Neil Golub, president and c.e.o. of Price Chopper. "The quality and integrity of their products coupled with our comprehensive rollout will position Price Chopper as the premier promotional merchant of natural and organic products in the Northeast."
Here are some of the organic additions:
-Fresh produce: Price Chopper sourced expanded the total number of organic fruits and vegetables available to more than 125.
- Grocery/HBC: More than 400 new Wild Oats-branded items have been added, including holistic health products and environmentally-friendly cleaning and paper products. Additionally, HBC will now offer Highlands homeopathics, Zand organic cough drops, and The Natural Dentist products.
- Meat: New natural and organic items will include Central Market Classics All Natural Beef, ultra-premium Certified Angus Beef, and Alison's All Natural Chicken, which is air chilled, certified humane-raised and -handled.
- Bakery: Added an assortment of organic breads made from sprouted wheat under the Alvarado St. label (sourdough, wheat, flaxseed, soy crunch, multigrain, California style, no salt multigrain, and diabetic lifestyle) as well as three organic varieties of LaBrea (French Baguette, Wheat Loaf and Rustic French Loaf) to an assortment of more than two dozen varieties of LaBrea and Artisan baked from scratch breads that are all natural.
- Deli: Added Thumann's All Natural Oven Roasted Gourmet Turkey Breast, Chicken Breast, Black Angus Top Round, and Black Forest Brand Ham to its mix.
- Seafood: New natural offerings include shrimp, shucked oysters, clams, and mussels and an expanded variety of wild caught product that includes flounder, bluefish, haddock, hake, halibut, mahi mahi, mako, monkfish, marlin, pollock, red grouper and snapper, cod and salmon, in addition to shrimp, lobster, and crab.
Price Chopper also expanded its private label natural and organic line, named "Price Chopper Naturals." Recently introduced organic items include grape juice and cranberry juice, traditional and wheat pastas, lemonade, microwaveable popcorn, natural pump hand soaps, and bar soaps.
"Our efforts vis a vis the consumer will focus on tying health and wellness topics cohesively into our advertising/marketing, sampling, in-store event, and community and public relations efforts, so as to provide the additional educational outreach that our customers are telling us they want," said Mona Golub, v.p. public relations and consumer services. "We are also committed to building a nutritional team of registered dieticians, pharmacists and HBC managers, who will be accessible to customers both in the store and in the community."
The Golub Corp. owns and operates more than 115 Price Chopper grocery stores in New York, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Hampshire.