You are here
SPRINGDALE, Ark. -- For the fourth straight year, Tyson Foods, Inc. based here ranked No. 1 in foodservice new product development, according to a nationwide study by research company Cognito.
Tyson finished first in doing the best job bringing new products to foodservice operators. Kraft ranked second in the new product scorecard, followed by General Mills in third place and Nestle in fourth. The results were based on the feedback of more than 900 foodservice operators who named 390 different food manufacturers.
In naming the winners, Cognito said new products are a challenge in any industry and foodservice is no exception. Tyson came in first in every attribute measured in the study including:
- Understanding the nature of the customer's business and needs
- Doing the best job of making the customer aware of their new products
- Providing the highest quality/most consistent quality new products
- Having a sales force that is the most knowledgeable and best prepared to meet customer needs
- Doing the best at providing the basic new product support the customer needs
"We're working hard to help our foodservice customers meet the needs of an aging and more ethnically diverse population and are pleased to be recognized for our efforts,'' said Bernard Leonard, Tyson Foodservice's group v.p. He said a new Tyson Discovery Center will enable the company to bring new, high quality products to market more quickly. The new Arkansas-based research and development facility, which opened this month, gives Tyson's food innovation team access to 19 research kitchens as well as a USDA-inspected pilot plant.