Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Carrefour Denies Takeover Report

    LONDON -- Over the weekend, Carrefour SA denied a report in a U.K. newspaper here that Wal-Mart might be considering a bid to a takeover the French mega-retailer.

    LONDON -- Over the weekend, Carrefour SA denied a report in a U.K. newspaper here that Wal-Mart might be considering a bid to a takeover the French mega-retailer.

    "It isn't true. There are no discussions between Carrefour and Wal-Mart," a Carrefour spokeswoman said, according to a Dow Jones wire report.

    British paper Sunday Mail reported that Wal-Mart has held top-level talks with Carrefour over either a takeover bid or the acquisition of certain Carrefour stores. Citing unnamed sources, the news paper said talks between Wal-Mart c.e.o. Lee Scott and Carrefour chairman Luc Vandevelde took place within the last month.

    When asked if the talks did take place, the Carrefour spokeswoman repeated that there are no talks between the companies, said Dow Jones. There has long been speculation that Wal-Mart may be interested in acquiring the French retailer.

    Related Content

    Related Content