Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Supervalu Age-Discrimination Case to Go to Trial

    MINNEAPOLIS - U.S. District Judge Ann. D. Montgomery ruled that the Supervalu Inc. age-discrimination case will go into trial, denying Supervalu's motion for summary dismissal of the case, a Minneapolis law firm said in a press release Monday.

    MINNEAPOLIS - U.S. District Judge Ann. D. Montgomery ruled that the Supervalu Inc. age-discrimination case will go into trial, denying Supervalu's motion for summary dismissal of the case, a Minneapolis law firm said in a press release Monday.

    The Associated Press reported in the summer of 2000 that Supervalu was being sued by five former middle managers who said they were discriminated against when they were replaced by younger, less expensive employees when the food wholesaler installed a new technology system.

    The plaintiffs filed their lawsuit in U.S. District Court in St. Paul, Minn., asking the court to order Supervalu to restore their jobs or compensate them for lost income and benefits. The workers were replaced in 1998 after the company brought on line its Advantage electronic technology program used to order and deliver supplies and changed the name of the company's operations from Information Systems to Information Technology.

    The case was originally filed on June 16, 2000 by former Supervalu employees Eugene F. Koren, Robert E. Mjolsness, Richard G. Olson, John H. Stinson, and William R. Troehler. Their ages ranged from 51 to 57 at the time their jobs were terminated, and all had been with the company from nine to 13 years, according to the AP.

    Attorneys for the plaintiffs asked the court to allow other former employees to join the lawsuit.

    Related Content

    Related Content