You are here
Food Marketing Institute unveiled today the winners of its 2014 Store Manager Awards and Gold Plate Awards at FMI Connect in Chicago.
Now in its 15th year, the Store Manager Awards recognize exceptional supermarket store managers who generate sales growth; provide great customer service; contribute to attaining company goals; and are an integral part of the communities in which they serve.
“Store managers are the heart and soul of our industry,” said FMI President and CEO Leslie G. Sarasin. “Our 2014 Store Manager Award winners display all the key leadership qualities—dedication to their customers and community, ability to bring out the best in others, and innovative marketing ideas—that are the gold medal qualities of successful food retailers.”
This year's winners, who each received a $1,000 prize and a crystal award, are:
Category A: (1-49 Stores)
- Larry Hack, Martin’s Super Markets, Granger, Ind.
Category B: (50-199 Stores)
- Kate Allred, Lowes Foods, LLC, Clemmons, N.C.
Category C: (200+ Stores)
- Randy Kruse, Hy-Vee, Inc., Ames, Iowa
Category D: (International)
- George Katsifolis, Delhaize Group, Kalamata, Greece
Gold Plate Awards
Given to retailer and wholesaler members who help customers "easily make family mealtime a regular occasion," the 2014 Gold Plate Awards highlight outstanding programs FMI members have implemented to encourage family meals.
“Families’ ability to reconnect and share a meal is the foundation of the food retail industry,” said Cathy Polley, RPh, VP of health and wellness at FMI and the executive director of the FMI Foundation. “FMI’s Gold Plate Award winners demonstrate the innovative programs that empower shoppers for mealtime.”
This year's winners, who each received a $1,000 prize and a commemorative trophy, are:
Category A (1-49 stores)
- First Alternative Co-op -- The grocer's Budget Bites program is based on a simple-to-follow weekly menu plan, shopping list and recipes for a family of two adults, all under $50 per week.
Category B (50 – 199 stores)
- Weis Markets Healthy Bites -- This company-wide, comprehensive, multi-media program of meal solutions, recipes and healthy eating advice, centers on a 16-page fully customized magazine in print and online.
Category C (200+ stores)
- Publix Aprons Simple Meals -- This program features new meal ideas weekly, specifically developed to simplify planning, preparation and clean-up. Meal ideas are made accessible through multiple media channels, including circulars, online and in-store.
FMI’s U.S. members operate nearly 40,000 retail food stores and 25,000 pharmacies, representing a combined annual sales volume of almost $770 billion.