You are here
Food Marketing Institute (FMI) has named Jerry Garland, president and CEO of Associated Wholesale Grocers, Inc., the organization's board chairman, at the FMI Connect show in Chicago.
Of the appointment, Fred Morganthall, outgoing chairman and president/COO of Harris Teeter, noted that he is "thrilled to be passing the gavel to one whose opinion I have so come to respect and trust."
In addition to Garland, FMI appointed its slate of 2013-2014 board officers, which include:
- Vice Chairman, Wholesaler, J.H. Campbell, Associated Grocers, Inc.;
- Vice Chairman, Independent Operators, Kevin Davis, Bristol Farms, Inc;
- Vice Chairman, Member Services, Randy Edeker, Hy-Vee, Inc.;
- Vice Chairman, Finance, Darioush Khaledi, K.V. Mart Co.;
- Vice Chairman, Communications, Tres Lund, Lund Food Holdings, Inc.;
- Vice Chairman, Public Affairs, Randall Onstead, Bi-Lo Holdings, LLC;
- Vice Chairman, Industry Relations, Joseph Sheridan, Wakefern Food Corporation;
- Vice Chairman, Food Safety, Colleen Wegman, Wegmans Food Markets, Inc.
“Together, over the past three years we have continued the work started by past Chairmen Ric Jurgens and Steve Smith in building a resurgent FMI," Morganthall said. "We have put in place an FMI strategic plan that will continue this winning trajectory. And we have re-instituted FMI’s annual gathering, FMI Connect as the most important annual industry event.
"On the government relations front," he continued, "we have taken the swipe fee fight to new levels, and have continued working to bring fairness to the more onerous aspects of the Affordable Care Act. We have accomplished much, but there is still work to be done.”
FMI’s U.S. members operate nearly 40,000 retail food stores and 25,000 pharmacies, representing a combined annual sales volume of almost $770 billion.