You are here
In light of the pending merger between AB Acquisition LLC and Safeway Inc., the two companies today unveiled the senior leadership team and slate of division leaders that will helm the combined company following the merger's closing.
Safeway shareholders approved the proposed merger agreement on July 25, under which AB Acquisition LLC, an affiliate of Albertsons, will acquire all outstanding shares of Safeway. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter of this year.
The merger will create a network that includes more than 2,400 stores, 27 distribution facilities and 20 manufacturing plants, employing more than 250,000 associates. No closures are expected as a result of the transaction.
The leadership team includes:
- Bob Gordon, EVP and general counsel
- Shane Sampson, EVP, marketing & merchandising
- Andy Scoggin, EVP, human resources, labor relations, public affairs and government affairs
- Jerry Tidwell, EVP, supply chain and manufacturing
- Lee Wilson, EVP and chief administrative officer
- Bob Dimond, EVP and CFO
- Justin Ewing, EVP, corporate development and real estate
- Barry Libenson, interim EVP and CIO
- Wayne Denningham, EVP and COO, South Region
- Justin Dye, EVP and COO, East Region
- Kelly Griffith, EVP and COO, North Region
The combined company will comprise three regions and 14 retail divisions, the latter of which will be supported by corporate offices in Boise, Idaho, Pleasanton, Calif., and Phoenix, Ariz.
Division presidents include:
- Dennis Bassler, Portland Division, North Region
- Paul McTavish, Denver Division, North Region
- Susan Morris, Intermountain Division, North Region
- Tom Schwilke, Northern California Division, North Region
- Dan Valenzuela, Seattle Division, North Region
- Shane Dorcheus, Southwest Division, South Region
- Scott Hayes, Southern Division, South Region
- Sidney Hopper, Houston Division, South Region
- Lori Raya, Southern California Division, South Region
- Robert Taylor, United Division, South Region
- Steve Burnham, Eastern Division, East Region
- Jim Perkins, Acme Division, East Region
- Jim Rice, Shaw's Division, East Region
- Mike Withers, Jewel-Osco Division, East Region
"We're drawing on the strong talent within both companies to build an innovative, customer-focused and growth-driven company," said Safeway President and CEO Robert Edwards, who will serve as the combined company's president and CEO.
Added Bob Miller, Albertsons current CEO, who will become executive chairman of the combined company: "We know the best way to grow our business is to have the highest quality fresh departments, lower prices, clean, well-stocked stores and the best customer service in the market," he said, adding that "Our teams will focus on delivering what customers want locally, and we will give our store teams more flexibility to make decisions that are right for their neighborhoods."