You are here
The National Grocers Association opened its 2015 NGA Show with record attendance for the fifth straight year. The show is being held until Feb. 11 at the Mirage Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
This year’s show features more than 30 educational workshops and a sold-out expo floor housing nearly 375 exhibitors in categories ranging from meat to technology to craft beer to general merchandise.
“This year’s record turnout of independent grocers and wholesalers, and those who support this industry, speaks to the value attendees see in the NGA Show,” said Peter Larkin, president and CEO of NGA. “We’re excited to build off of last year’s momentum and provide attendees with a return on investment that will help them grow and expand their bottom line.”
The first day of the show opened with seven pre-convention workshops, covering topics such as smaller formats, creative produce merchandising programs and using current meat trends to increase sales.
During the opening keynote session, NGA Chairman of the Board Rich Niemann Jr. and Larkin presented a series of five videos showcasing how independent supermarkets differentiate and win in the marketplace. The videos focused on community, people, fresh, innovation and partnerships. You can view them here.
Leon Panetta, former Secretary of Defense and Director of the CIA, was the opening keynote speaker. The session was sponsored by Kraft Foods Group Inc.
The NGA board of directors also named the 2015 board members, including nine newly elected leaders. The 2015 board members are:
• Chairman: Rich Niemann, Jr. – Niemann Foods, Inc.
• Immediate Past Chairman: Joe Sheridan – Wakefern Food Corp.
• Vice Chairman: Bob Ling – Unified Grocers, Inc.
• Treasurer: Cheryl Sommer – Kaune’s Neighborhood Market
• Secretary: Rich McMenamin – McMenamin Family ShopRite
Members appointed to the 2015 Executive Committee include:
• Ted Balistreri – Sendik’s Food Markets
• Jerry Garland – Associated Wholesale Grocers
• Rick Geyer – Geyer’s Markets, Inc.
• Janel Haugarth – SUPERVALU INC.
• Barry Queen – Queen Enterprises, LLC
• Peter Larkin – National Grocers Association
Newly elected members include:
• Emile Breaux, Associated Grocers, Inc.
• Neal Berube - Associated Food Stores, Inc.
• Trent Brookshire – Brookshire Grocery Company
• Christopher Brown – C&S Wholesale Grocers
• Tracy Flores – Kennie’s Market
• Roger Lowe, Jr. – Lowe’s Supermarkets
• Todd Mitchell – CROSSMARK
• Richard Morgan – North State Grocery, Inc.
• Ellie Taylor – Alabama Grocers Association
• Brad Brookshire – Brookshire Grocery Company
• Christine Curtis – C&S Wholesale Grocers
• Jim Nilsson, Jr. – Geissler’s Supermarkets, Inc.
• Dan Shaul – Missouri Grocers Association
• Lisa Walsh – PepsiCo, Inc.