You are here
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s GreenChill program works with grocery retailers to help reduce the environmental impact of their refrigeration systems.
GreenChill annually honors those companies making significant strides, most recently in September 2014 at the Food Marketing Institute’s Energy and Store Development Conference in St. Louis. Here’s a list of GreenChill’s current honors class:
- Superior Goal Achievement – Given to GreenChill partner companies that meet their annual emissions reduction goal: Brookshire Grocery Co., Buehler’s Fresh Foods, Food Lion, King Kullen, Meijer, Sweetbay and Weis Markets
- Exceptional Goal Achievement – King Kullen
- Most Improved Emissions Rate – Buehler’s
- Best Emissions Rate – Stater Bros.
- Best of the Best (best rated of all GreenChill-certified stores) – Whole Foods Market, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Store Certification Excellence (most store certifications) – Publix Super Markets, Sprouts Farmers Market
- Store Certification Excellence (non-supermarket partner) - Hillphoenix
- Store Re-certification Excellence (renewed certification for five consecutive years) – Food Lion, Columbia, S.C.; Publix, Winter Haven, Fla., and Suwanee, Ga.; Sprouts, San Diego; and Weis, Hanover, Pa.
- Distinguished Partner – Raley’s