You are here
Executives and trustees from Lufkin, Texas-based Brookshire Brothers' recently presented more than $110,000 to 15 non-profit organizations and three education foundations.
In making the presentations, Jerry Johnson, Brookshire Brothers' president/CEO and board member of the regional grocery chain's charitable foundation, said: “These folks exist to help the hurting, enrich children’s lives through education and the arts and support health services and research. They touch the lives of thousands of our customers. It’s our privilege to help further their reach through the foundation’s support.”
Since 2008, Brookshire Brothers' charitable foundation has hosted two vendor golf tournaments each year, the collective proceeds of which have netted more than $1 million since its inception. The monies raised during the golf tournaments have benefited some 20 local worthy causes, all of which support children and families and align with the grocer’s core values.
This year's deserving recipients include:
- Alzheimers Association-Houston & Southeast Texas
- Alcohol and Drug Abuse Council of Deep East Texas (ADAC)
- American Cancer Society-Pineywoods Cattle Barons Gala
- Angelina Arts Alliance
- CRRC of Canyon Lake
- Court Appointed Special Advocates-CASA in the Pines
- Friends of the Ellen Trout Zoo
- East Texas Alliance for Children (Harold’s House)
- The Joseph House, Inc
- Junior Achievement of Angelina County, Inc
- Junior League of Lufkin
- Lee County Youth Center
- Lufkin State Supported Living Center – Volunteer Services Council
- The Dublin Goodfellows
- The Mosaic Center, Inc
- Coldspring- Oakhurst CISD Education Foundation
- Lufkin ISD Education Foundation
- Salado ISD Education Foundation
In addition, Brookshire Brothers – whose market stretches east to Lake Charles, La., west to Canyon Lake, Texas, north to Whitesboro, Texas, and south to Ganado, Texas – also has a separate employee-run donations committee, which meets monthly to consider hundreds of donation requests from throughout the company’s footprint, funds for which are generated directly from the employee-owned retailer.
Brookshire Brothers operates 111 retail outlets incorporating grocery stores, convenience stores, and a free-standing pharmacy, as well as tobacco and petro locations. Two new stores are set to open in Canyon Lake in early February and Grapeland, Texas, this summer.