You are here
Boasting a record-setting attendance of 3,200-plus attendees and a sold-out expo floor, leaders of the National Grocers Association (NGA) have ample reason to celebrate the spirit of independence.
“The continued growth and momentum from The NGA Show demonstrates that this is truly the event where independents gather,” said Peter J. Larkin, president and CEO of NGA. “Independent supermarket operators are well positioned to meet the needs of a shifting consumer base, and they are eager to find fresh and innovative concepts that they can take back to implement in their own stores, and exchange ideas with their colleagues.”
General Stanley A. McChrystal kicked off the event as keynote speaker at the opening session. Sponsored by The Kraft Heinz Co., McChrystal, a four-star general and former Green Beret, led the Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq during the Persian Gulf Wars and was top commander of U.S. and international forces in Afghanistan.
Known for his innovative leadership and team building strategies, Gen. McChrystal provided NGA Show attendees with insights and solutions to address the various challenges leaders can face in a business environment. His presentation, "Adaptable Wins," underscored the importance of continuous change for companies and individuals to enhance their competitive stance.
Prior to the opening session at the event at the Mirage Hotel and Casino, Las Vegas, NGA hosted a series of pre-convention workshops ranging from topics on marketing and merchandising; finance; center store; technology; and fresh foods. The Show will feature two new workshop tracks involving store leadership and community leadership, as well as offer two new super sessions on craft beers and e-commerce.
NGA 2016 Board of Directors
In other business, NGA elected its 2016 board of directors including:
Executive Committee Officers
- Chairman: Bob Ling - Unified Grocers, Inc.
- Immediate Past Chairman: Rich Niemann, Jr. - Niemann Foods, Inc.
- Vice Chairman: Cheryl Sommer - Kaune's Neighborhood Market
- Treasurer: Rich McMenamin - McMenamin Family ShopRite
- Secretary: Ted Balistreri, Sendik’s Food Markets
- Peter J. Larkin, National Grocers Association President and CEO
- Members appointed to the 2016 Executive Committee
- Martin Arter – Affiliated Foods Midwest
- Rick Geyer – Geyer’s Markets, Inc.
- Roger Lowe, Jr. – Lowe’s Market
- David Smith – Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Jeff Reagan – Wakefern Food Corp.
Newly elected & appointed to the 2016 NGA Board of Directors
- Denny Belcastro – Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Guy Chiarello – First Data
- Ken Diehl – Strack & Van Til Market
- Steve Heggelke – Bozzutos, Inc.
- Maria Kamberos – Treasure Island Foods, Inc.
- Kristi Magnuson Nelson – Hugo’s Family Market Place
- Mike Stigers – Supervalu
- Mike Violette – Associated Grocers for New England
Stay tuned to PG for continuing coverage of the NGA Show in Las Vegas and follow us on Twitter at @PGrocer, #NGAShow16.