You are here
ALBANY, N.Y. -- The New York Association of Convenience Stores (NYACS) is calling for all c-store families in the state.
In conjunction with its 2014 Trade Show, the association is searching for New York's Foremost Convenience Store Families. This year's show theme is "We Are Family."
"We're saluting the family-operated enterprises that give vitality and strength to New York's convenience store industry," said NYACS Chairman Devin Spencer of Alta East Inc.
Families from across New York who own, operate, supply or service neighborhood mini-marts and convenience stores may nominate themselves.
The first 10 families to be designated by NYACS as one of New York's Foremost Convenience Store Families this year are:
- The Sidebottom family of MWS Enterprises Inc., East Amherst, N.Y.
- The Nicosia family of Northside Grocery, Newark, N.Y.
- The Jamal family of CPD Energy Corp., New Paltz, N.Y.
- The Smith family of Shortstop Delis Inc., Ithaca, N.Y.
- The Tripi family of wholesale distributor Tripifoods Inc., Buffalo, N.Y.
- The Hawke family of Strong Oil Co., Water Mill, N.Y.
- The Marshall family of Pit Stop Convenience Stores, Weedsport, N.Y.
- The Wood family of Collamer Stop & Shop, East Syracuse, N.Y.
- The Barraco family of Holiday Ice Co., Syracuse, N.Y.
- The Vincent family of Countryside Marts, East Berne, N.Y.
"Independent mom-and-pop stores are still the heart and soul of our industry," Spencer said. "And many of our chains grew out of a single store founded years ago by family members who are still contributing to the company's success. We're equally proud of the number of family-run suppliers and service providers in our membership."
During a ceremony at the trade show on May 15, honorees will receive a commemorative "Foremost Family" plaque. The event will take place at the Oncenter in Syracuse.
Families must meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- The business is headquartered in New York State.
- At least two members of the family are actively engaged in the business on a full-time, ongoing basis.
- The family has owned, operated and/or managed the business for at least three years prior to March 1.
- The business is a member of NYACS in good standing.
The nominating deadline is April 15 and nomination forms can be accessed at nyacs.org.