You are here
As a natural extension of its growing publication created exclusively for independents, Progressive Grocer Independent is building on the Outstanding Independent awards program, which for years has been a part of its flagship Progressive Grocer parent.
While it will continue to recognize two overall operators for their industry excellence, PGI is expanding the program to include specific categories of awards as well.
Each award category will have two winners -- one for single-store operators and one for multi-store operators -- and will be segmented into categories where independents traditionally shine the brightest, as follows:
- Overall Outstanding Operator: An independent grocer that has executed innovative ideas in its store operations and marketing, as well as exceptional community leadership.
- Outstanding Rookie: A full-time employee with less than a year of experience at the time of his or her nomination who has demonstrated outstanding performance.
- Best Store Design: An innovative concept store design opened between January 2012 and December 2012 that is both attractive and functional while staying consistent with the company’s overall mission.
- Greatness in Green: For the retail operation that demonstrates innovative sustainability practices and a willingness to explore new areas of sustainability across its operations.
- Technology Innovator: A retailer that is on the forefront of technology, with demonstrated exceptional skill at leveraging technology to drive the business, as well as a willingness to take risks on new and emerging technology.
There are also three awards for retailers that demonstrate innovation in specific departments that traditionally set independent grocers apart from chain competitors, including unique marketing and merchandising programs, service-based programs, and innovative operational enhancements that differentiate their stores in the following departments:
- Outstanding Meat and Seafood
- Outstanding Deli/Foodservice
- Outstanding In-store Bakery
- Submission Details
For operational awards submission, please send the following information: nominator’s contact information; name of nominated store, including owner’s or owners’ name; company name; name of banner nominated; number of stores; award category; and a summary essay (not to exceed 500 words) detailing the compelling reasons for your nomination, along with up to five photos (300 dpi) that illustrate your nomination, each under 1MB, so they can be mailed as attachments in a single e-mail.
For category awards submission, include nominator’s contact information; nominated retailer’s information, including company name, name of banner nominated and number of stores; category for which the retailer is nominated; and an summary essay (not to exceed 500 words) detailing the compelling reasons for your nomination, along with up to five photos (300 dpi) that illustrate your nomination, each under 1MB, so they can be mailed as attachments in a single e-mail.
Winners will be recognized during the NGA show in February 2013, as well as in the April issue of Progressive Grocer Independent and on the Independent Grocer Network.
Multiple entries per retailer are allowed. The deadline for all submissions to be sent to [email protected] is Jan. 7, 2013.
If you have any questions or need further information, contact Joseph Tarnowski.