You are here
Six top-performing high school athletic programs are receiving the 2013 ShopRite Cup, presented jointly by ShopRite stores and the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Six winning schools – four public and two private – have received the award each year since the program began in 2004.
Cup recipients and each school’s trophy presentation date and venue are as follows:
- Kingsway Regional High School (Sept. 12 at 7:00 p.m. on the football field)
- Villa Walsh Academy (Sept. 14 at 10:45 a.m. on the soccer field at half time)
- Haddonfield Memorial High School (Sept. 17 at 7:30 p.m. during a Board of Education meeting at Haddonfield High School Library)
- Millburn High School (Sept. 21 at 2:15 p.m. on the football field)
- Christian Brothers Academy (Oct. 3 at 1:30 p.m. during afternoon assembly)
- Metuchen High School (Oct. 4 at 7:35 p.m. on the football field during half time)
The ceremonies will also include presentations of ShopRite Cup banners to be hung in the winning schools’ gymnasiums, and the schools’ local ShopRites will display congratulatory banners.
“Awareness of the ShopRite Cup competition has grown tremendously since we first started this program, making it a coveted prize for schools and student athletes alike,” noted Steve Timko, executive director of the Robbinsville, N.J.-based NJSIAA. “Our participants not only learn the importance of teamwork during the season, but also the benefits of hard work and determination. Whether they receive the cup or not, all of our athletes are winners.”
To be eligible for the cup, schools must earn ShopRite Cup points and finish in the top four places for their group’s state championship competition in 32 NJSIAA-sanctioned sports during the 2012-13 school year. The cup also rewards bonus points for sportsmanship.
“Participation in team sports is such an important part of a young person’s life,” said ShopRite spokeswoman Karen Meleta. “ShopRite is honored to recognize these athletes, their commitment to their sport and their dedication to excellence.”
ShopRite is the registered trademark of Keasbey, N.J.-based retailer-owned cooperative Wakefern Food Corp. With more than 250 ShopRite supermarkets located throughout New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Delaware and Maryland, ShopRite serves more than 6 million customers each week.