Quick Stats

Quick Stats

    You are here

    Stop & Shop Raises $2M-plus for Hunger Relief

    Holiday donations continue to benefit the needy

    Aided by its customers, the Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. has donated more than $2 million to hunger relief organizations across the Northeast. According to the Greater Boston Food Bank, the combined efforts of Stop & Shop’s New England and New York Metro divisions will help provide more than 6 million meals.

    “As we head into our 100th year and as we celebrate the successes that we have achieved over the years, we also reflect on how we can continue to grow and help support communities for the future,” noted Joe Kelley, president of Stop & Shop New England division, in Quincy, Mass.

    “Stop & Shop is committed to being a good neighbor,” added Don Sussman, president of Stop & Shop New York Metro division, in Purchase, N.Y. “Helping our communities, whether it be through monetary or food donations, is always a top priority for us as a company.”

    ‘Food for Friends’ and More

    The banner raised more than $1.5 million through its “Food for Friends” program this past holiday season. Customers could contribute through in-store donations of $1, $3 or $5 at checkout registers. Of the $1.5 million raised, 60 percent went to the local hunger relief agency or food pantry each store adopted, with the remaining 40 percent going directly to regional food banks.

    As part of Food for Friends, Stop & Shop and its customers helped donate more than $550,000 worth of holiday trimmings to hunger relief organizations. The trimmings boxes, which cost shoppers $10 each, contained nonperishable Stop & Shop Own Brand items such as cranberry sauce, stuffing mix and cut green beans.

    Further, Stop & Shop’s annual “Turkey Express” program contributed more than 21,000 turkeys and 300 hams to 14 hunger relief organizations across the Northeast.

    Finally, as the official supermarket of the New York Giants, the New York Metro division donated $150 for every first down the Giants made during the regular 2013-14 season. With 280 first downs this season, the Giants helped Stop & Shop contribute $42,000 to eight regional partners in the tri-state area. Similarly, as the official supermarket of the New England Patriots, the New England division pledged to donate $500 for every sack the team made during the 2013-14 season, for a total of $10,000 contributed to its food bank partners.

    Stop & Shop, an Ahold company, employs about 60,000 associates and operates 398 stores in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York and New Jersey.
     

    • About

    Related Content

    Related Content