You are here
BOSTON -- Supervalu and Wal-Mart were among those recognized for their leadership in the pharmacy industry at the National Association of Chain Drug Stores (NACDS) Pharmacy & Technology Conference here.
"The recipients of these awards and the companies honoring them are exemplary pharmacy partners working toward a greater good," said Phil Schneider, NACDS Foundation president. "These generous contributions will reinforce the commitment each of these companies has made to enhance the future of the industry and its ability to serve the public."
Five awards were presented to industry leaders that included generous contributions to the NACDS Foundation from several distinguished companies.
- Mike Conley, representing Novartis Pharmaceuticals, presented the Novartis Pharmaceutical Alliance Award to Chris Dimos, president of pharmacy operations for Supervalu. This award recognizes the incoming NACDS Pharmacy & Technology Conference chair for leadership, commitment, and service to the chain pharmacy industry. Accompanying the award, a $10,000 contribution was donated by Novartis Pharmaceuticals to the NACDS Foundation in Dimos' name.
- The Novo Nordisk Chairman's Award was presented to Bob Dufour, this year's Pharmacy & Technology Conference chairman and director of pharmacy, professional services, and government affairs for Wal-Mart Stores. Pat Quinn, senior director of trade for Novo Nordisk presented Dufour with a $10,000 donation to the NACDS Foundation in his name in recognition of his leadership and contributions to both NACDS and the pharmacy profession.
- Dave Bernauer, retired chairman and c.e.o. of Walgreens, was awarded the Fougera Pharmacy Scholarship Award for his service as chairman of NACDS. He accepted the award from Fougera c.e.o. Paul McGarty on behalf of the NACDS Foundation. This $25,000 donation will support the NACDS Foundation Pharmacy Student Scholarship Program in the development of future leaders in pharmacy and to recognize pharmacy students who have a strong interest in pursuing a career in chain community pharmacy.
- Jim Hunter, IMS Health v.p. of supplier management, presented the IMS Health Pharmacy Partnership Award to Matt Leonard, s.v.p. of pharmacy merchandising at CVS Caremark. This award is presented to a leader who values the importance of data in fact-based communication and corporate planning. IMS donated $10,000 to the NACDS Foundation in Leonard's name.
- Steve Banet, UCB director of trade relations, presented the Schwarz Pharma Leadership in Pharmacy Award to Wayne Roberts, Apotex Corp. director of trade and industry relations, acknowledging his efforts in pharmacy education. This $10,000 contribution is awarded annually to an individual or organization whose leadership and actions have had a significant impact on the profession of pharmacy. Roberts is a veteran to the industry and considered a partner by all chain pharmacy leaders who work with him.
The NACDS Foundation is the education, research, and charitable affiliate of the National Association of Chain Drug Stores. It supports programs that advance and strengthen the chain pharmacy industry for the benefit of the public it serves.
Among its activities, the foundation provides scholarships for pharmacy students and supports pharmacy education programs that address the needs of community pharmacy practice. Additionally, the foundation supports research efforts documenting community pharmacy's role and value in America 's health care system, as well as addressing effective and safe use of medicines.