You are here
Produce managers representing 21 different supermarket chains, commissaries, and independent retail stores from 17 states and Canada will be the honored guests at United Fresh 2011 this May through the United Fresh Retail Produce Manager Awards Program.
Sponsored by Ready Pac Foods, the awards program is now in its seventh year and is presented through the Foundation’s Center for Leadership Excellence. The awards recognize those on the front-line in supermarkets working to increase sales and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables.
“These men and women have such an undeniable impact on our industry,” said Tom Stenzel, president and CEO of United Fresh. “In so many cases, they are the face of the fresh fruit and vegetable industry for our consumers, and these produce managers represent the best of the best at their craft. Through their creative efforts and interaction with customers, they’re making produce a centerpiece of the retail shopping experience and wowing consumers every day.”
The 2011 winners are:
- Shannon Adkins, Food City, Shelbiana, Ky.
- Dorinda Bertoldi, Big Y Foods, Inc., Wilbraham, Mass
- Terry Blackburn, Hy-Vee, Inc., Lincoln, Neb.
- Aaron Carleton, King Soopers/City Market, Boulder, Colo.
- Donald Courtright, Beale AFB Commissary, Beale, Calif.
- Michael Crutchfield, Save Mart, Angels Camp, Calif.
- Craig Docherty, Vons, Las Vegas, Nev.
- David Dozier, GFF Foods, Moore, Okla.
- Paul Ferro, Jewel-Osco, Chicago, Ill.
- Jake Foster, Brookshire Grocery Co., Athens, Texas
- Greg Gerdes, Hy-Vee, Inc., Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Mark Glanville, Hannaford Bros. Co., Scarborough, Maine
- Dave Heetderks, Spartan Stores, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Brad Lange, Brookshire Grocery Co., Shreveport, La.
- Dave Lemire, Safeway Stores, Inc., Tsawwassen, B.C., Canada
- Ben Lopez, Nob Hill Foods/Raley's Family of Fine Stores, San Ramon, Calif.
- Bob Merritt, Quality Food Centers, Seattle, Wash.
- David Nappi, Price Chopper Supermarkets/Golub Corporation, Plattsburgh, NY
- Ron Potter, Food City, Kingsport, Tenn.
- Marilyn Jo Poyzer, Woods Supermarkets, Nevada, Mo.
- David Schoch, Bel Air Markets/Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Woodland, Calif.
- Eric Segerstrom, Safeway Stores, Inc., Bellevue, Wash.
- Jennifer Smith, Camp Pendleton Commissary, Oceanside, Calif.
- John Ward, VG's Food, Shelby Twp, Mich.
- David Williams, Rouses Supermarkets, New Orleans, La.
“The efforts shown by these exceptional retail produce managers are truly inspiring,” said Ready Pac’s president and CEO, Michael Solomon. “Ready Pac commends these well-deserving individuals and companies for a job well done!”
The program’s 25 winners were selected from hundreds of nominations submitted by retailers and produce suppliers across the industry. Selections were made based on a number of criteria, including efforts to increase produce consumption through everyday excellence in merchandising, special displays and promotions, community service and commitment to total customer satisfaction.
All winners and their corporate produce directors will be honored at United Fresh 2011 during the Chairman’s Reception & Annual Awards Banquet, Wednesday, May 4, at the Hilton Riverside Hotel in New Orleans. In addition to the awards, five Grand Prize recipients will receive an additional $1,000 cash prize.
On the United Fresh 2011 trade show floor, select program winners will take part in a panel discussion of retail strategies and trends, as well as consumer purchasing habits. This special event will be available at www.UnitedFresh.TV.
Applications for the 2012 Retail Produce Manager Awards Program will be available this fall online at www.unitedfresh.org, with winners to be honored at United Fresh 2012 in Dallas. More information on United Fresh 2011 can be found at www.UnitedFresh2011.org.
Founded in 1998, the United Fresh Produce Association Foundation is a not-for-profit organization committed to meeting the public’s needs for an abundant supply of healthy, safe and affordable fresh fruits and vegetables.