You are here
Walmart’s @WalmartLabs group has launched new applications for the iPhone and iPad designed to give its customers tools to plan their weekly shopping trips as well as a new way to access Walmart both in-store and online.
This announcement builds on Walmart’s commitment to technology innovation for the next generation of commerce. The two free applications are the first of several mobile products to be rolled out from the recently formed @WalmartLabs group under Walmart’s Global eCommerce unit. The iPhone application features new updates that include smart shopping lists with integrated access to manufacturers’ coupons and support for QR code scanning. Walmart’s first-ever iPad application delivers a rich experience that allows customers to browse, search and purchase their favorite items online, as well as the ability to browse the inventory of their local store from the comfort of their home.
“Today, mobile allows us to have a similar personal relationship with our customers that Sam Walton had with his customers 50 years ago when he opened the first Walmart store,” said Gibu Thomas, Walmart’s SVP of mobile and digital. “We can greet each of our customers by name, guide them through our stores, and give them product recommendations and real-time savings — all from their mobile devices.”
According to a recent Nielsen report, 50 percent of mobile phone users will have smartphones by the end of 2011, and the National Retail Federation estimates that over 52 percent of smartphone users will use their devices for holiday shopping.
Walmart’s new app created specifically for the iPad places more time and money-saving power into the hands of its customers. Key features include:
- Touch-optimized shopping: Browse, search and purchase favorite items by combining traditional ways of shopping with the unique capabilities of the iPad.
- Browse My Store: Select any local Walmart store to see product availability and detailed information specific to that store.
- Extended inventory: Shop and purchase Walmart.com merchandise in addition to viewing local store inventory.
Walmart’s new updates to its iPhone app are aimed at making it one of the most comprehensive shopping apps in retail. Key features include:
- Voice: Add items to shopping list by speaking, typing or scanning bar codes.
- Budgeting tools: Calculate total price in real-time as specific items are added to mobile shopping lists.
- Manufacturer’s coupons: View applicable manufacturer coupons for products carried in local Walmart stores.
- Product information: Access product details, including customer ratings and reviews, as well as local product availability and prices.
- Sharing: Email shopping list to friends and family.
- Store Item Finder beta: Display in-store aisle location of products in select stores across the country.
The iPad app is now available for free through Apple’s App Store in the Lifestyle category, and the updated iPhone app will be available soon. More information is available at www.walmart.com/mobile.
@WalmartLabs is based in the heart of Silicon Valley. The business unit creates platforms, products and businesses around social and mobile commerce to support Walmart’s global strategy of seamlessly integrating the shopping experience between brick-and-mortar stores and e-commerce. For more information, visit www.walmartlabs.com.